It’s not pop. But it’s what all the cool kids are listening to.
…So it’s pop.
Indie style, I suppose. Some of them are a bit old (by pop [and nonpop pop] standards), but they’re all from the new millennium, so I still count them as recent.
I’m 21. I have been for about half a year now, actually, but I chose to do 21 songs for this Mix Tape since it’s all about hip new things that hip new people listen to. Not that I’m hip, or even new (I’ve been told I have the soul of a grandma; I chose to take that as a compliment, probably proving the point), but I like to see what’s out there. And these are my findings, at least the ones I’ve taken an interest in.
You might have noticed by now that I sometimes repeat artists I’ve had on other Mix Tapes. Sorry about that. I’ll try to shake it up some more in the future.
1. Up All Night – Young Knives
2. Devil’s Crayon – Wild Beasts
3. Why Do You Let Me Stay Here – She & Him
4. London Bridge – This is Ivy League
5. Forever Heavy – Black Moth Super Rainbow
6. Oh What a World – Rufus Wainwright
7. Postcards from Italy – Beirut
8. Letter from God to Man – Dan le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip
9. Ottoman – Vampire Weekend
10. Na Na Na Na Naa – Kaiser Chiefs
11. Troubled Waters – Cat Power
12. The Denial Twist – The White Stripes
13. I’m Afraid of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf – Murder by Death
14. They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhh! – Sufjan Stevens
15. Apocalypse Please – Muse
16. Five Years – Seu Jorge
17. The Widow – The Mars Volta
18. No Hiding Place – Elvis Costello & The Imposters
19. I Turn My Camera On – Spoon
20. On Your Wings – Iron & Wine
21. I Love You – Esser