For this edition of Mix Tape Tuesday, I decided to revisit my roots. And by revisit my roots, I mean pretend I listened to these songs their first time around.
Let’s face it, the only radio station I listened to up until 6th grade was K-Earth 101 (oldies, for those not in the Los Angeles area). But I properly used my high school and college experience to get back into the game and acquaint myself with all the great music I had missed. I like to imagine it’s still 1995 and I’m doing what every good college student in 1995 did, Chuck Taylors and unwashed jeans included.
High five to anyone who happened to be twentysomething in the early-to-mid 90s, by the by. It’s gotta be fun being in the group that bridged the gap between Generations X and Y.
Anyway, so here they are: some of my favorite songs from the early-to-mid 90s. Enjoy.
1. Peaches – The Presidents of the United States of America (an apt band for Inauguration Day, no?)
2. Blackhole Sun – Soundgarden
3. Hey Man, Nice Shot – Filter
4. Waltzing Back – The Cranberries*
5. Hey Sandy – Polaris (also happens to be the theme to The Adventures of Pete & Pete)*
6. Why I Cry – The Magnetic Fields (also happens to be one of the many excellent songs played in The Adventures of Pete & Pete)*
7. Hit Single (Space Ghost Coast to Coast) – Sonny Sharrock (another great television theme)*
8. Army of Me – Björk (this track won’t load, even though I’ve tried it four times…so there is no track 8, sorry)
9. Endless Art – A House
10. Raoul and the Kings of Spain – Tears for Fears
11. Out of Our Shells – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (from the Coming Out of Our Shells Tour, which is several shades of awesome)*
12. Sick and Tired – The Cardigans
13. Nice of Me – Danielson Famile (one of my favorite Dan Fam songs, and one of their first from back when Daniel Smith was—you guessed it—in college during the mid-90s)
14. Oh No Won’t Do – Cud
* indicates songs I actually did hear when I was a young’un, but they’re just too good to pass up.