It’s been a couple weeks since the remastered Beatles albums hit the shelves. If I had money, I’d pick up every single one.
It’s also been a couple weeks since the Beatles version of Rock Band hit the shelves, and I still haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I’m super bummed.
To help me stay cool until I do get around to finding someone who owns the game, I’ve made a Beatles Mix Tape. I’m going to sing and bop along to it, and I invite you all to do the same.
I grew up listening to all of the Fab Four’s albums, including Past Masters, which compiles all the singles that never made it to their studio albums (“Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand,” anyone?).
The Beatles defined my childhood and opened my mind to the world of experimental music. I always loved the early songs — with their unforgettable harmonies and pure rock ‘n’ roll love — but I truly connected with their later, in-studio, let’s-change-what-it-means-to-play-music days, which began to take shape with Rubber Soul and hit full stride by Sgt. Pepper’s.
This week’s edition of Mix Tape Tuesday pays tribute to my favorite band of all time. Because even while I’m discovering new music every day, it’s impossible to find a band today that hasn’t been influenced by John, Paul, George and Ringo, either directly or through the imprint they left on the music industry as a whole.
Most of these are the original recordings by the Four Kings of EMI themselves, some are covers by newer bands, and others are remixed versions from Cirque Du Soleil’s LOVE (props to Sir George Martin, the Beatles’ original producer, for doing a spectacular job as music director). Unfortunately I don’t have Let It Be…Naked or Live at the BBC, so there are no tracks from those.
Sit back, put on your headphones, and let the music sink in. You’ll be all the better for it.
Note: Even though I had to upload it in two parts, both sides fit on one CD.
1. A Hard Day’s Night – from A Hard Day’s Night
2. Help! – from Help!
3. I’ve Just Seen a Face – from Help!
4. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) – from Rubber Soul
5. I’m Looking Through You – from Rubber Soul
6. Drive My Car/The Word/What You’re Doing – from LOVE
7. What Goes On – Sufjan Stevens, from This Bird Has Flown: A 40th Anniversary Tribute to The Beatles’ Rubber Soul
8. I’m Only Sleeping – from Revolver
9. For No One – from Revolver
10. Fixing A Hole – from Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
11. Good Morning Good Morning – from Sgt. Pepper’s
12. Strawberry Fields Forever – from Magical Mystery Tour
13. I Am the Walrus – from Magical Mystery Tour
14. The Inner Light – from Past Masters, Vol. 2
15. Revolution – Grandaddy, from I Am Sam soundtrack
16. Glass Onion – from The Beatles (White Album, Vol. 1)
17. Happiness is a Warm Gun – from The Beatles (White Album, Vol. 1)
18. Mother Nature’s Son – from The Beatles (White Album, Vol. 2)
19. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey – from The Beatles (White Album, Vol. 2)
20. Because – from LOVE
21. Golden Slumbers – from Abbey Road
22. Carry That Weight – from Abbey Road
23. Something – Leisure Society, from Mojo Presents Abbey Road Now
24. You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) – from Past Masters, Vol. 2
25. I Me Mine – from Let It Be
26. I’ve Got a Feeling – from Let It Be
Goo goo g’joob,